Friday afternoon, Renee and I spent about 15 minutes packing, hopped in the car with no plans and old maps, and went to Asheville. Asheville is my favorite city on the eastern coast, and I was very close to moving here. Renee and I aren't greeted with you-must-be-an-alien stares like we get in Mebane--but greeted with "Hello"s and smiles. I'd move there in a heartbeat if housing wasn't ridiculous and the job market wasn't so bad. There's just a different way of life there if you really pay attention. Some might say it's a liberal hippie town, but I think it's just a place where people are free to express themselves in whatever way they want, and people accept it...ok, maybe it IS a hippie place but I like it.

Anyway, we participated in what I call "urban hiking". Not sure if that's a real term, but it's basically spending hours of your day exploring cities on foot. We spent Friday afternoon and evening and also Saturday afternoon exploring Asheville and it was really nice.

People say there are campsites all over Asheville, so we brought our camping gear. We didn't plan on a particular place either. When we got there, though, we realized that you really have to know where these sites are. We drove around for like 2 hours looking for a place to camp and/or a cheap hotel. Finally we got tired of looking and settled on a nasty hotel. It worked though. This prostitute came up and asked me for cigarettes...then came back later and asked me for a ride to the store. It wasn't cool.

Check out my pics on Facebook if you wanna see more.

0 comments: