I want all owners of all coffee shops to take heed and listen! Most of you suck... so try to be more like this place: Beehive Coffee in Pittsburgh, PA. This, in my humble yet snobby opinion, is what coffee shops should be like.

I can't explain the atmosphere, but imagine a place that looks like it's taken years to decorate.... a hilarious Indian guy behind the counter breaking out in random pop songs... fresh baked goods AND soups and salads and real food... the menus painted with real paint on a real canvas with a real frame... free wi-fi AND free internet access on their own computers here... murals on the wall which aren't STUPID to look at... awesome welded metal contraptions suspended in the air... not to mention a great logo and great location (minus the difficult parking)... and PAPER CUPS! NOT styrofoam. Booooo for styrofoam. OH, and did I mention that their espresso is incredible?!

As you may or may not know, I have wanted to have a shop of my own for like 8 or 9 years--it's one of my dreams. Not sure it'll ever happen, judging from the past year of my life's plans turning right upside down...but when I think of owning a place, this is what I think of. I don't want to start it unless I have a great building with a great location and enough money. Otherwise it's not worth it. I've been to a lot of below average coffee shops in my life and this is one of the first ones that meets my expectations as a possible-future-entrepreneur. So, Beehive Coffee, you rule. Keep it up.

0 comments: