...that REALLY doesn't like the beach. It is very rare for me to find anyone else that thinks the same way I do about it. I've grown up going to the beach cause it's only a few hours from us. So I'm sure up until I was about 12 or 13 I really enjoyed it. Since then, especially in the past ohhh 6 or 7 years, I have found little enjoyment in it.

I just don't see the fascination with sand, sweat, salt, and sunburn (4 things which all suck) coming together in one "vacation". Sand gets everywhere, in every crevice, in your teeth when you eat, the salt burns your eyes and shaved legs, you smell like crap all the time when you're at the beach, and worst of all sunburn is the devil.

Oh, and a little thing called sharks and other animals that bite or sting you!? Dude, I don't care how rare you think shark attacks are- in the summer in Florida every few weeks last year we heard about someone getting eaten or half-eaten by a shark! Screw that, I'm terrified of that.
OH! And being half naked in front of everybody too! Come on! That's not fun for people like me! Maybe if I was the super-model type then I might dig it more, but not me.

Friday I went to Carolina Beach near Wilmington with my mom and step sister, Renee. It was Renee's last weekend before joining the Navy so I went along with it. My mom doesn't like it when we're not all together, all the time on vacations. So she loves the beach and went down to sit on it- so I went with her to keep the peace.

It was borderline cold, which I didn't mind, so I hiked my shorts up and put on a tank top, sat in a lawn chair and read my Relevant magazine and listened to tunes for about an hour or so. I didn't really feel any burning going on, though I am not a sunbathing expert, obviously. Within an hour, my skin starts to feel a little interesting.

By that night, I can see that my white-as-Casper legs have been charred by the Sun, as well as my shoulders. I have been trying not to whine about this pain to anyone, but I just want to say that this is by far the worst burn on my legs I've ever had. It doesn't hurt just when something touches it, it hurts when I stand- like I feel it in my muscles or something. It hurts when I sit, when I lay down, when water is on it, anything. I am usually not one to shed a tear if I'm in pain, but I will admit I got misty-eyed once or twice.

So for the rest of the "vacation" I was such a downer- which I hated, but I couldn't help it once it happened. Five more family members joined us Saturday too.

Not to mention I left my laptop plug-in cord for the wall in the hotel room, which makes me mad at myself for doing that cause that's just stupid...which is why I couldn't make a snazzy header for this entry cause I'm using Renee's computer till I get my cord.

Anyway, so am I the only one out there who hates the beach? Can anyone relate to this? Who here would rather be on a river in the mountains? Oh oh oh, me! Me! Me! Oh and for the record, I don't mind the beach so much if it's cold out and I can wear jeans and a sweatshirt and walk around and look at the ocean--that's pretty cool. I mean I like looking at water and animals and all that, so I'm not 100% opposed to it, just not when it's 250 degrees and I'm expected to lay down in the hot sand for 4 or 5 hours.
Smell what I'm steppin' in!?

1 comments:

Ande Truman said...

By the way, I know I did the sunburn to myself and I'm kind of a moron for complaining about something I did to myself....but whatever :)

AND AND I woke up this morning to find out my mom and step-dad got really really burnt too! So either that means we're all a bunch of idiots, or we all just didn't feel it cause it was so cold... or both. At least I'm not alone in my idiotic tendencies.