Okay so here's another "What Am I?" question! Since you guys are good at this...

I work here: www.campchestnutridge.com. Have worked there for like 4ish years now, on and off. Since I got home I was serving as a nanny to two of the directors, and also cooking in the camp kitchen. Now, I'm going to only be in the kitchen. But it's not like a cafeteria with kids and hot dogs and stuff...I won't stoop to call myself a lunch lady, because the camp is also a retreat center where large groups of adults come in to eat fresh, healthy, very nice food. Sometimes I'll cook for 15, sometimes 150, and sometimes the food is really really nice.

So here's my question, am I a cook or a chef? What should I tell people? A cook, to me, always sounds like low-class guy holding a cigarette flipping eggs at an old diner somewhere...but to me a chef sounds like someone decked out in white with a tall hat in a 5 star restaurant designing plates that cost $100 each. (I totally used to wear that hat and jacket) Doesn't chef sound a little pretentious? Is a chef distinguished by having education in the food industry? Cause I know chefs that have little or no educational experience. I've only taken 1 college course in it. BUT when I work there I tend to be the one in charge, and I've had a lot of experience...

So what's proper to tell people? Is there an in-between word for cook and chef?

4 comments:

Seggi said...

I've figured it out! You know, the way when you sing and are too high for alto but too low for soprano, you're mezzo-soprano. well, there you go...you're definitely mezzo-chef ;))

Ande Truman said...

Ohhh good one. Or maybe a quasi-chef...

Petra said...

tell them you're a "veduca jedalne" HAHA

Ande Truman said...

Oooo sounds exotic!

Aky je veduca? Jedalne je food, nie?