Exclusive psalmody is essentially the belief that Christians should only sing old testament psalms in worship. I believe it's more complicated than that, but that's the gist. I have heard about this opinion for years, but always believed that it really wasn't a big deal and if they only want to sing psalms that's fine with me. However, after the sermon tonight by my pastor, I believe I've come to a more definite disagreement with this philosophy.

There were many reasons that were established in the message that explained how this was false... but here are just a few.
We all know that we are no longer bound by the old testament laws. The verses that explain that we should sing only in psalms are all in the OT. The word psalm is never found in the NT and there is no clear commandment for or against singing only psalms, simply put. In the NT, it just says words like songs, praises, etc.

The most convincing evidence for me is this: Jesus Christ was not evident to the people of the OT- it obviously wasn't till the NT till Jesus was revealed as the Son of God. So all of the OT psalms never once proclaimed Jesus in them. So duh, if we take Jesus out of our lyrics, then are we really singing about the true redeeming salvation from Jesus Christ?


If we contain ourselves to only sing psalms without the name of Jesus Christ, when during worship (unless you publicly pray) do you have a chance to verbally praise our Lord Jesus Christ? You don't! So is it right for those who believe in exclusive psalmody to hinder their congregation from singing about Jesus? No, I don't believe it is and this is why I disagree with this philosophy.

The sermon is not posted online yet, but if you'd like to hear more about this let me know and I'll tell you when it's there... To my theologically gifted friends out there, please note that I've summarized this into a really short and simple explanation--so keep that in mind if you choose to tear my argument to shreds. :)

6 comments:

Petra said...

I'm surprised by some of the things you said

Ande Truman said...

Like what?

Petra said...

like we are not bound to the OT. True that but it is still part of the Scriptures and that not bound to it comment made it sound like we are to avoid/ignore it.
But most of all - Jesus Christ was not evident to the OT people? What about all the prophesies? What about Isaiah and other million passages? What about the hope of Messiah? Just wondering...

Ande Truman said...

You're right, the OT is most definitely part of the scriptures and we should absolutely not ignore it. Sorry if that's how I made it sound.

I also stand corrected on how I worded something. I did say "JC wasn't evident to the OT people". You're right, I'm wrong and I shouldn't have worded it like that. The point I was trying to make is this: The psalms implicitly refer to the messiah, but they don't explicitly say the name of Jesus Christ. That's the difference. They don't actually say His name.

So what I'm referring to specifically are OT psalms, not the OT in general. One point my pastor was trying to make was that to ONLY be allowed to sing pslams that don't say Jesus' name hinders us in some ways. He was, however, in no way saying that psalms were negative to sing in general or taking away validity in the OT.

That's the problem with me trying to sum up opinions and sermon regurgitations quickly and late at night. My pastor made his point much more delicately. Thanks for that correction...did what I just say clarify anything or do you disagree?

Craig Sowder said...

Exclusive Psalmody is based on a more conservative and strict interpretation and application of what is known as the Regulative Principle of Worship. The RPW states basically that only those things which are commanded by God, either explicitly or by good and necessary inference, are the ONLY things that are acceptable in worship. The argument is quite simple. It goes like this:

1) We may only sing what God has commanded us to sing in worship.

2) God has commanded us to sing the Psalms in worship.

3) Nowhere has God commanded us to sing anything besides Psalms in worship.

C) Therefore, we must sing the Psalms exclusively in worship.

I believe that all three premises of this argument are incorrect, and as such, I reject the conclusion as well. I know it isn't very Reformed of me to deny the first premise, since I do not hold to the RPW, but that is where I stand.

I have a link on my blog to a series of articles by Steve Schlissel critiquing the RPW that I think are very good.

Ande Truman said...

Yep, we talked about the RPW too. I concur.