The darkness- the lack of light- the unknown. In a society that raises its' children on scary movies, murder mystery shows, and constantly parades images on our screen of choice that only wants to shock and scare you, it is no wonder that we're all screwed up. Or maybe it's just me who's screwed up.

To be someone who admits that they're not so keen on being in the dark alone feels as embarrassing as admitting that you wet the bed in your 20's. I of course don't this, just to be clear. But being "afraid of the dark" seems like something we should all grow out of. So why is it that so many people, including myself, are so frightened by being in the dark? Not just any darkness- I don't need a light on while I'm in the theatre or anything. What I'm talking about is being in the dark ALONE, especially outside. I hate it. When I'm with anyone I'm totally fine.

My imagination is too wild to be at peace in this surrounding. I've seen more scary movies than I can count- I've been raised in a society that thrives on being scared out of their minds by watching gory shocking movies, haunted houses, etc. Why do people put themselves through this? What comes of it, besides having unnecessary and nonsensical fear?

Sometimes I really feel like a silly scared child and it's annoying. Too many times on TV, in the news or a movie I've seen a woman get mugged and/or raped in a non-threatening environment, or the eyes that appear out of the darkness when someone is looking out the window, or the guy in the back seat of the car waiting for you to get in, or even the meaningless breaking-and-entering burglar who shoots you in your sleep. I hate even thinking about that!


Can anyone else out there empathize with me, or am I just a visually scarred and warped scaredy cat?

4 comments:

Seggi said...

OMG, You're talking about me, right? Im actually scared in the dark even with some=one esle, not as much as alone, but still. SO afraid. And it doesn;t even have to be dark, Im afraid of being in the house alone during the night, even with the light turned on whole night. WILD imagination I have!

Ande Truman said...

I'M SO GLAD someone else out there is like me!

Anonymous said...

You're totally a bed-wetter.

Ande Truman said...

Hey now, Wes, my bladder control shouldn't have any weight to whether I am good person or not.