May I introduce to you The Apro-Tron. The Apro-Tron is a horrible name for my custom apron that I made last night. I'm pretty excited about it actually. You may be asking yourself, 'Why would she waste time a) making a dumb apron and b) posting pictures of it online and c) put lightning and scary mountains in your Apro-Tron header?'. Well, cause I'm a nerd. That's all I can tell you :) Generic aprons out there always bothered me for different reasons so I made my own to solve some my problems.

First, oven mitts always disappear in the commercial kitchen I work at...and the apron material alone is too thin to pick up hot pans, so I sewed oven mitts to the bottom.

When operating the huge dishwasher I would get completely soaked, all the way to my jeans, so I've put a removable piece of industrial plastic on the inside of the fabric.

I always hated the back side of normal aprons cause they rested on my back weird. So I made a criss-cross tie so it's more comfy.
I always need to carry crap from the walk-in fridge to the cooking area, like eggs or something, so I made a big deep pocket in the front.
The main reason I made this is for a reason I shouldn't mention in mixed company... I'll say it like this, most aprons are too narrow on top, making it awkward for certain women, and it would get dirty from splashes and stuff... SO I made it extra comfortable and form fitting at the top.
Tonight is the first trial run, so we'll see what else I should add. Oh, and I'm not the best sewer in the world, (meaning I have no idea what I'm doing) mainly cause I start projects without exact measurements and stuff cause I'm too impatient to care about that sort of thing...but it works!

7 comments:

Petra said...

go Ande! Nice picture of you up there..

Craig Sowder said...

That picture of you in your header makes it look like you gotta little Captain in you.

Ande Truman said...

Yes I frequently like to telaport to scary mountains in an apron.

You're right, I DO look like I have a little Captain in me!

Seggi said...

Hey, I LOVE that apron., especially the tie...I hate the ones you need to wear around your neck! and the pocket in the front-cool!

Ande Truman said...

K so I've had the aprotron for 3 trial runs at work. The big pocket works like a charm, Seggi! Perfect for loading eggs and potatoes and such from the fridge. There are some improvements I need, like a metal ring to hold a towel instead of over my shoulder, and some other stuff too. Woohoo!

Anonymous said...

You are so cool. For not being a "sewer" (I think you meant "seamstress"), you are quite talented! And you must be a very scary cook, w/ the mt. and everything.

Love it.

Ande Truman said...

SEAMSTRESS! I knew sewer didn't look right... and because I got the word wrong proves that I'm not a good one :)

And yes, I'm a very scary cook, as I prefer to have my restaurant on the top of the mountain..