Wow, where to begin? Today I wanted to share my thoughts on the most recent cooperative album released by rock legend Robert Plant (of Led Zeppelin) and Allison Krauss (of AK and Union Station). What first attracted me to this album was the fact that literally two of my top music 'idols', two people who have heartily influenced me as musicians, two people who have seemingly nothing in common in any way, have come together to create something different.

I just couldn't believe that such different musicians that I love would ever come together! I remember having a huge smile on my face, eyes wide open, when I saw this album cover when it first came out, thinking, "This is going to be really interesting."

I was not proven wrong either. This has got to be one of the most interesting albums I own. Not just interesting, but fascinating! I just sat here and soaked up the music for an hour or so, and I am just moved to a different place, if that makes any sense. You know how when you listen to different kinds of music, your brain automatically changes images in your mind? When I listen to very soft soothing music, my brain flashes images of things that soothe me. When I listen to rap music my brain flashes images of the rappers, their image, their lifestyle, violence, etc.

Well when I listen to this, I have no idea what to imagine. Well, in some of the songs such as "Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us" or "Trampled Rose" (WOW), I imagine rowing a small carved out boat through a swamp in Louisiana to my small shack in the middle of nowhere. Other songs, such as "Polly Come Home" or "Through the Morning, Through the Night", invoke a certain sensual and soothing sound and take me to a cold, rainy day, cuddled up with somebody drinking coffee.

This album is most assuredly not for everybody. It is out of the comfort zone for both Allison and Robert, but one can see that with these musicians thrown out of a genre they usually wouldn't dive into, something (I dare say) magical happens. If you have an open mind, want to hear something unique, and respect Allison and Robert's unique style and voice, go get this album.

Check this stuff out..

Probably my favorite song of the album... Wow. Don't know what those pics are though.


Stupid video, but here's Trampled Rose


General video of explanation...


http://www.robertplantalisonkrauss.com/site.php (you can listen to the album here I think)

0 comments: