So I went to a beer festival tonight. It had over 160 beers available, though I only had time to taste about 40 of them. 40 sounds like a lot, and I guess it is, but I had about a shot or so of each one so I didn't get too much. Below is a list of what I drank in order of what I liked the best with my rating next to it if you're interested...yes, I took notes like a nerd. I almost didn't get in because it was sold out online- so I had to stand outside the gates with my finger in the air, hoping someone could sell me their extra ticket. After like 20 minutes I finally found someone- and it was a bit pricey, but I'm glad I was able to experience so many different types of beer. I feel a bit more cultured :)

  • It was an interesting environment, to say the least. At times it felt like a phrat party because of all the condoms that people had blown up like balloons and the obnoxious college kids. We were given a tasting glass that was bigger than a shot glass, smaller than a regular glass. People kept dropping them on accident, so my favorite part of the atmosphere was when people would drop them it would shatter on the floor and everyone in the stadium (thousands of people!) would scream and shout at one time and point at the person who dropped it. Funny stuff.
  • Frankiskaner Weissber - 5+ (this one was great, a faint clove/ginger aftertaste)
  • Ace Perry Cider - 5+ (sweet, but fabulous)
  • Woodchuck - Red Apple Ale - 5+ (sweet and perfect, makes me want the fall)
  • Starr Hill - The Love - 5+ (refreshing clove aftertaste)
  • Hoegarden - 5+ (very freshing and unique)
  • Milk Stout - 5+ (dark ale, with almost a slight hint of nutty/coffee almost, very smooth)
  • Bell's Oberon Ale - 5
  • The Poet - 5
  • Leinenkugel's Honey - 5
  • St. Pauli's - Dark Ale - 5
  • Dogfish Head - Festina Peche - 5 (fabulous!)
  • Liberty Steakhouse - Blackberry wheat - 5
  • Saranac Pomegranate - 4.5
  • Urfass - 4.5
  • Woodchuck - Pear - 4.5
  • Boddingtons - 4.5 (very smooth, not too fizzy)
  • Shock Top - 4.5
  • Highland - Cattail Peak Wheat - 4.5 (very nice)
  • Saranac Pumpkin - 4 (would be great on a fall day)
  • Thomas Creek - Vanilla Pale Ale - 4
  • Redbridge - 4
  • Allagash - 4 (very interesting and unique flavor)
  • Tarrapin Golden - 4
  • Fokkers - 3.5
  • Mendecino - Eye of the Hawk - 3.5
  • Red Oak - Battlefield Dark - 3.5
  • Highland - Oatmeal Stout - 3.5
  • Flying Dog - Horn Dog Barley - 3
  • French Broad - Gateway Kolsch - 3
  • Carolina Blonde - 3 (too hopsy)
  • Leinenkugel's Berry - 3 (too sweet)
  • Twisted Tea - 3 (too sweet)
  • White Wolf - 2.5
  • Duck Rabbit - Milk Stout - 2.5
  • Rocket Girl - 2
  • Seigneviale - 2 (too malty)
  • Dale's Pale Ale - (nasty!!!)
  • Salvation - 1
  • Chocolate Stout - 1

2 comments:

Craig Sowder said...

Sounds fun... I had a beer called Dirty Ho tonight... it's a mixture of some wheat beer and Framboise, which is that raspberry beer you like.

Anonymous said...

allagash is awesome. their stout, allagash black, is amazing.