Ever heard a song, quote, or verse a thousand times but never really soaked it in? I've heard the song "O Love that will not let me go" so many times, played it, and led it in worship. But it wasn't till I was zoning out at work last week, cooking for a few hundred in a REALLY fowl mood (seems to be a trend lately)...that I started singing this song in my head. And for some reason I only sang "O joy that seekest me through pain".

What struck me about this sentence was how it was worded. How the joy seeks ME. I don't seek the joy. Almost like when I don't feel like seeking God, HE seeks ME. How incredible is that! Who are WE to be sought after by the Almighty Father?! And yet He loves us to no end.

So then I pulled up the song lyrics and though even though all of the lyrics are great, the first line of every verse is amazing. Listen, and allow me to capitalize some words:

O Love that WILL NOT LET ME GO...
O light that FOLLOWEST all MY way...
O Joy that SEEKEST ME through pain...
O Cross that LIFTEST up MY head...

I honestly get choked up when I read this. The idea of the Lord pursuing ME...not letting me go...following me...seeking me...lifting up my head... This idea of the Lord being a personal, intimate and loving God. It reminds me of the verse, "I will never leave you or forsake you", one of my favorite verses in Scriptures.

What kinds of songs or verses that you know make your soul warm?

2 comments:

Seggi said...

for me...last couple of months it was 'God will make a way'. Only few days ago I was returning from work so upset I could not stop crying all the way home in the bus ( about an hour journey). Then I remembered I had tis song in my mp3 and ho it helped me before, so I listened to it over an over and it calmed me down...It just so amazing, I don't need to go on try hard to figure averything out...HE WILL MAKE A WAY FOR ME!

Eli said...

Hmm, the wonder of these lyrics once again caught my attention the other day, too. Great song.