There's been something on my mind for quite some time, really since I've moved back home. I've been processing it for this long though. There's a lot I can't say publicly so I have to filter a lot here. I've grown up in a reformed Baptist church. Over the years I had acquired some 'beef' with it. I won't get into detail but we all feel like after my dad passed away, the church seemed to quickly withdraw itself from our lives...kind of leaving us oblivious kids and a grieving mother hanging.

Anyway, since I was about 17 or so I had been dealing with this and other issues about my church, including the environment of the place. It had become a place I was afraid of, in a way, and a place I wanted to be disconnected from for many reasons. Though I believe I was brought up in a solid theology, my spiritual growth was so incredibly stunted as well, leaving me in a spiritually immature and vulnerable state.

So with all that said... I'm in a place in life where I need to deal with these issues, face them, and get over it. When people ask me about my church here, they usually ask me about our worship service and when I tell them what we do, they usually are very shocked at the fact that we only use classical instruments and no drum sets or electric guitars.

My German friend still clearly remembers the time he came to visit and heard the "hellfire and brimstone" sermon that day. He remembers it to be a place of intense guilt, etc.

But for me, I feel like my attitude is starting to change about it. When people give me these reactions now, my only thought is: Yes, but they're preaching the truth! I have an incredible amount of respect for our pastor, Gary. Since I was a kid he has preached the truth, and has not faltered. He is strict in his teaching, yes, but it is the truth and he's not afraid to speak bluntly to his flock. Now, he's not God and I don't agree with every single word he's ever said--but that's what makes the preacher-to-flock relationship healthy.

When I am under his preaching, I don't feel warm fuzzies inside and feel spectacular about myself. Church shouldn't be about that. It should be about making you a better Christian, and it should mature you in your spirituality. The sermons are on an intellectual level of maybe a graduate college classroom, which for me when I was young was a hindrance of my growth I believe. But now that I am old enough to really understand and follow him, I am finding how good this really is. I find myself maturing in my faith, or at least leaving church feeling very challenged in my testimony.

So do I agree with every single thing being taught? No. Do I love the worship? Definitely not. Do I have issues with some of the members of the church? Absolutely. But are they teaching the raw un-sugarcoated truth? Yes. And that, to me, is more important than styles of worship, past 'beef', and personality conflicts. Maybe this is a lesson I'm supposed to be learning while I'm home.

Can anyone relate to, or disagree with this?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

People do put too much stock in worship style and warm fuzzy feelings when looking for a church. Truth above all else is very important. Now, there needs to be a healthly balance of law and grace preached. One shouldn't just come out of church feeling crappy, but should come out having an even greater realization of what Jesus' death did for us. So, I should have a realization that I'm a crappy sinner and that I fail to keep the law of God completely. At the same time I should feel the comfort that Christ has obeyed the law for me and has borne my sin and through the power of the Holy Spirit I can submit myself to God and resist the Devil and he will flee from me. But hell and damnation is a real and pastors should not shy away from it. Seeing the reality of hell and damnation just elevates Christ's work so much higher.

Ande Truman said...

Nice comment, thanks. Yeah I feel like a lot of times I've walked out of my church feeling like a total failure of a Christian--I think that was before I had as much confidence in my faith as I do now. I think sometimes though it's necessary for us as believers to be challenged to the point of realizing we're not living up to our calling and we need to consciously ask the Lord to change us and work hard. Sometimes that can look like feeling like we're failures and if that's not balanced with grace, then something's wrong! Thanks Porterface.

brynne said...

can you tell i'm reading through lots of your old posts at once? :)

I think this is a huge lesson God wants you to learn. I feel like I couldn't begin to count the number of adult Christians I know who have left a church or "forced" a pastor out because they were not willing to see their own failures and need to change. They wanted to blame everything on the pastor, or the worship style, or other people in the congregation. I grew up hearing that personality conflicts is the number one reason that churches split and that it's the worst reason for a church to split!

I feel like you're learning something that God taught us while we were support raising. Not only did he keep us here in the States long enough to teach us things, he also kept us here long enough to process them and change us before we got to Slovakia. I can see he's definitely bringing you closer to him in this time, which is such a blessing!