Yesterday I saw the long-awaited Chronicles of Narnia, Prince Caspian in the theatre. (Yeah, I know I'm way behind!). First of all my concentration throughout the entire movie was broken because of 3 little stinking pipsqueak kids behind me talking the ENTIRE movie, adding their own commentary like, "Look! There's the lion! That's a big lion. His paws are huge. Oh and look at that bird too!", etc.

As for the movie: I want to point on the negative aspects of the film that I didn't enjoy first. In general I thought the plot didn't flow, there were many cheesy parts that made me laugh out loud it was so bad, the fighting scenes were dorky, and to top it off the characters were a lot darker then the first one. By darker, I mean I wouldn't let my 5 year old watch the movie cause it would give them ni
ghtmares. I don't have a 5 year old, I'm just saying... :)

To me the plot was almost a bit complicated. I understood it all, but the imagery between Christ's kingdom and Narnia wasn't as easy to pick up. It reminded me too much of Lord of the Rings in this way. I was also disappointed that they added a love relationship between the oldest girl and Caspian. The reason I loved the first one so much was because they didn't add or delete too much- it was really close to the book (minus that gay Santa Clause scene!!). So I haven't read Caspian but I've heard that they added this love relationship and that saddens me. It really seemed like Hollywood took over the plot.

Okay, for the good stuff... To me, the redeeming quality of this film was the imagery of our Christian lives. My favorite relationship is between Lucy, the youngest girl, and Aslan the Lion. Through the movie, Lucy has this wonderfully childlike and loving relationship with Aslan, unlike any other character. She believes He's there, never loses faith, SEES him when no one sees him, even dreams about him and risks her life to find him. Then when she finally meets Aslan, the image of this enormous and strong being being so kind and loving to a child and even hugs the girl and laughs with her- that is just so powerful to me. I definitely cried.

Aslan had not made himself known to the 4 kids while they lived him London. They started to lose hope (except Lucy) and thought that Aslan would never come back, or that he had forgotten them. I think what touched me the most was when Lucy asked Aslan, (Don't quote me on this...), "Where have you been? Why didn't you make yourself known? Why didn't you show yourself so everyone would believe us?" and that reminded me so much of us Christians- maybe a question we will one day ask the Lord in Heaven- why didn't you show yourself so everyone would believe us? And in the movie when Aslan came back and ROARED a giant ROAR in front of everyone, the other doubting children and everyone else who had doubted him humbled themselves and fell to their knees in shame. This, my friends, reminds me so much of how I see the Lord returning. All those who doubted will be put to shame. I, of course, am crying throughout this whole scene. Gosh, I'm a big wuss! But it's such a good picture!

So if you have a chance to see it, I'd say go for it- but maybe see it at a cheap theater like me first. Did you see it? Have any thoughts?

4 comments:

Seggi said...

I've seen it teice already and I simply loved it. Im not so much lookig at bad stuff, because I love narnia - and my brother loves it too (I never read the books BTW) but all the "christian" stuff, I was amazed.

Ande Truman said...

Yeah, maybe I need to see it again without those stupid kids behind me... :)

Anonymous said...

yeah, i liked it. the story isn't as good as "the lion, the witch and the wardrobe" both movie wise and book wise. in fact, i'm not sure if i ever completed the book 'cause i just couldn't get into it like some of the other narnia books. you know that santa clause was actually in the book? well, sort of, it was father christmas, but for a modern audience there isn't a distinction between the two.

Ande Truman said...

Father Christmas was in the book?? Wow, I totally don't remember that which is why I was so mad it was in the movie. Now I know it was in the movie I guess I don't care about it now. It still seems like kind of a stupid character to put in it though...