What is it about coffee shops that provoke deep conversations with such intense spiritual turmoil? It's a dynamic that I have never seen in any other establishment and I'm pretty fascinated by it. I'm convinced that mixing a coffee shop environment in some kind of ministry effort CAN work, if done properly. I've also seen it attempted and utterly failed, hence the thousands of crappy Christian coffee shops around the country. Anyway, that's a different rant for a different day.

I'm doing a little better I guess. I'm just forcing myself to get over whatever's going on. I'm going to fulfill my responsibilities anyway, no matter how apathetic I am towards everything right now, because I don't really have any other options! Last week during a youth group meeting I attended, we talked about anger and what biblical anger is. The point of the discussion was to prove that it's okay if we're angry about something, but we shouldn't sin while doing it. This got me thinking "How do I sin when I'm angry?" It wasn't till just now as I write this that I realize how I sin when I'm angry. I've been dealing with some anger issues over the past few days and I am sinning in the midst of it because I'm a lazy sloth when I'm angry, I'm apathetic towards everything (inner thoughts, actions), and most of all, I'm not trusting God for whatever reason I'm angry for in the first place. I could keep talking but I don't want to open a flood gate. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think coffee shops typically attract the postmodern subculture and that is why you find so many people who are typically liberal in politics and agnostic and/or universalistic in theology. it's unfortunate, too, 'cause i'm usually attracted to these type of girls and yet our world views are so different.

Ande Truman said...

You're right. I also saw a documentary a long time ago... wait, it wasn't long ago but I only saw a minute of it.. ANYway, it was saying that coffee shops in America sprouted from people who gathered to talk about the events during the revolutionary war- it was a safe place for them to speak of the rebellion.. so maybe it's possible that this postmodern subculture who are so liberal in politics and religion continue to gather in these safe places to talk about their own personal rebellion. HMMMM! Interesting!

Anonymous said...

yeah, i think our coffee shops are sort of like what pubs are in europe. it's just a place to gather and talk politics and religion. though, i think politics and religion go much better with a beer... also with a good pipe or cigar.

Ande Truman said...

Yes, politics and religion are much better with Courage Juice, except I get pretty politically incorrect and blunt...which usually make those kinds of conversations fantastic :D

Petra said...

I'm glad you think about things :)