I had two "first experiences" today, and without trying to make a big deal out of either of them, I want to tell you about what happened cause it was the only really interesting thing to happen to me in a while. First, I gave blood for the first time. I've never been able to because of the African countries that I had visited. I wasn't looking forward to it, but decided to just shutup and do it anyway for the "general good". So I get there and do all the paperwork and sit down in the chair, put on my sweatshirt and hat and turned up really really angry rock music as I prepared to get poked with an enormous hollow needle. I usually make jokes with doctors because I hate being there and especially getting poked and it's my way of coping with it.

So I sit and watch the needle enter my skin and it doesn't feel so great. But the stupid woman couldn't find my vein, so she DIGS the needle a little further and moves it around a bit to find the vein. That angry music is fitting in well now. For like 10 minutes I had to sit there and move this thing around my hand so the blood would flow faster, and it REALLY felt weird---though kinda cool to see my blood flow out.

So whatever, I get done, chit chat with some other people from my chuch and walk to the cookie table. All is well, no problem. I sit down and ask for a diet coke as I look upon the feast of cookies, and especially the peanut butter cookies. I start talking to this guy beside me. He asks how I did and I said good.

Now here comes my second "first time" thing. After I said good, I suddenly felt like crap, like a wave, and I said, "ACTUALLY, I don't feel good!" as I started to lower my head a little. My head went cold and tingly and it felt like someone was pushing me down from my shoulders.

What seemed like the next morning after a long night's sleep, I opened my eyes and everything was blurry. I saw about 7 or 8 dark circular objects in my view. I closed my eyes and thought I was dreaming---opened them wide, and still saw the objects. I couldn't hear anything either. I was lying on my back and mny feet were straight up in the air, being held by a doctor. My vision began to clear and I started to hear something.

"Cough!!" I looked at somebody like they were insane. "COUGH!" she said. So I coughed, not knowing why. I started to hear and see more. All these people were gathered around me, staring at me. I couldn't move for a minute- I had no idea where I was or how I got there--seriously, no lie! It took about 15 or 20 seconds for me to figure out that I had passed out. I eventually had the strength to sit down in a chair and I sat there for like 45 mintes, drinking, eating and making jokes about me fainting till I got normal again. I gotta tell ya, it was the WEIRDEST feeling ever!

I still feel really weird and weak though! Like, all during dinner, an hour after it happened, I couldn't form sentences to my parents well. Anyway, so even though it kinda sucked to get poked and felt really out-of-body and surreal to faint, at least I can now say that I've done these things and I couldn't say that before!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah, i've passed out before back when i had my bleeding ulcer. the same thing happened to me; i couldn't hear and couldn't see for a few seconds. i've never passed out giving blood, though. i've given three times thus far and always feel like i've done something good afterwards. plus, i like the goodies they give me for giving blood. i won a raffle this past friday for giving blood and got a $20 BP card and an ice cooler that rolls.

brynne said...

oh my gosh, you have to have Petra tell you about me passing out TWICE in Nitra when we went to the hospital for our visa paperwork. I'm afraid I'll pass out again just telling you the story- so ask Petra!