For some unknown reason, I think I have entrepreneurship running in my veins. I haven't been able to really bloom in the field, because well, you usually need hundreds of thousands of dollars to start something big like I want. But since I was young I started gathering information about businesses, how they work, what works and what fails, etc. I've also kept an attentive eye on businesses around the city I live in.

In Mebane, North Carolina, business is hard for most. Since I can remember I would see businesses come and go, and come and go. Just in the past 3-4 days I've seen 3 businesses bite the dust and go out of business. One is a coffee shop, another is a used crap store, and another a coffee roaster. I've been watching and waiting for these to go out and it's absolutely no surprise to me that this happened. The coffee shop had terrible coffee, the used crap store...well, what used crap store WOULD stay in business?...and the coffee roaster never advertised.

I don't understand why people start businesses without putting enough thought, research and investment in it. I wonder if it's a southern thing, or a moronic thing? My friend commented on a bakery she works and and said, "They're from the North, they know how to do it and do it right." It's sad really, to see so many stupid people investing their life savings into stupid ideas and ruining their finances for the rest of their lives. My family was one of those businesses that failed in Mebane, resulting in completely ruining us, almost to the point of bankrupcy. It's sad. So the fact that some day, some how, some way, I'd still love to own a business, should either be telling you that I'm a stubborn idiot who will fail, or I've got something better to offer than the places that fail. We'll see what paths my life lead I guess.

So, moral of the story? Don't start a business unless you've done your research, and don't start a business in Mebane.

0 comments: