I just want to say that I don't like the beach very much, and I'm not ashamed to say it. I've been going to the beach for 25 years, more than once a year and ya know what, I'm not a fan. I don't hate every part of it- like going out at night when it cools down to get seafood, shopping in the little skanky beach stores, going out a little ways to chill in the sea, or sitting on the patio watching the waves. That's all well and good. What I hate is the sand, sweat and salt all mixed together with this guilty feeling of obligation to be on the beach with everyone else who's enjoying it much more than I am. I don't like carrying arm loads of crap just in order to sit on the beach and make ourselves less uncomfortable and then carrying it all back after it's been covered in sand and salt. I just got back from "vacation" with my family and I gotta say, I'm just not into it. I don't enjoy myself. I'd rather be in the mountains or pretty much anywhere else.

2 comments:

Petra said...

ah, sad story. I love the beach, I love the sand and salt. I love the hot weather and I never carry loads of crap with me.

Ande Truman said...

Maybe under different circumstances it wouldn't be so annoying to me, ya know? Like, if I had the kind of hot body to wear a bikini and I could prance around, maybe I'd love it....or if I could go to nice beaches like the kind on the Gulf of Mexico and not the nasty Atlantic Ocean on the NC coast....or EVEN go with people who let me do what I want in weather that wasn't sweltering heat! Ahh, just too many bad bad family beach trips in my life to like it with no reservation. :)