Before you read this list, I want to give a disclaimer. I am not saying that these are the best, most well produced and most talented albums of all time. That would be a massive claim for some of these. These albums were all produced between 1990 and 2000- as much of the music I love was produced between 1994 and 1996- a great time in music history. I've compiled a list of albums that have stood my test of time of 10 years--except 3 of them were produced in 2000. Each one of them has had a huge influence on me, both lyrically and musically. In a way, they've helped shape my musical tastes, and their lyrics have also shaped a lot of my mentality while growing up. I know the words to almost every song of each album and I love every song in the album as well, literally! Every time I hear these albums I am automatically happy and feel at home. So if you're not familiar with these, check em out. Oh, and notice I say albums and not bands- that's because not all the bands' albums are as good as the ones I've listed. If you don't like em, that's okay, I always will! :)

Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill (1995) (Rock/Pop)
Though perhaps a bit feminist at times, Alanis' lyrics were raw, honest and downright in your face. Over the past 10 years I've related to different songs at different times and screamed them in my car to many different people who made me feel like a pile of dung. Her style was something I didn't enjoy after this album, so this one is my classic.
Bob Marley - Legend (1990) (Reggae)
No Woman, No Cry was the 3rd song on the guitar I ever learned. Get Up, Stand Up I think is very anti-Church which I've recently realized and don't agree with. All in all, the best reggae artist ever.
Cake - Fashion Nugget (1996)
Unlike any other band I've ever heard, Cake's unique guitar and vocal personalities must at least force you to say "Wow, that's unique", whether you enjoy the music or not. His voice is solid and confident. This is their best album.

Coldplay - Parachutes (2000) (Pop/Rock)
The first time I heard the song Yellow, it was in a TV commercial and I was sitting around with some friends hanging out watching That 70's Show. When Yellow came on, I stopped talking and stared at the screen, being interrupted by a friend (Joe) who said, "Ande likes this song doesn't she?" Needless to say, they got my attention quickly. After seeing them in concert I will say that they stand up to their name as well. Their other albums are just as good.
Cranberries - To the Faithful Departed (1996) (Rock/pop)
Not all of the Cranberries' songs are that great, but this album is fantastic, along with Everyone Else is Doing it so Why Can't We? and especially No Need to Argue. Everything after that sucked, in my opinion. I always admired Delores' voice, even though their guitar playing was very elementary (maybe a reason I loved them while I learned the guitar).
Dave Matthews Band - Crash (1996) (Jam band/folk/acoustic)
The Dave Matthews Band is one of those bands that have both changed my music world and also really disappointed me as well. Everything up until their 2001 album of Every Day was incredible. Seriously- every song was so good. After Every Day, their albums went downhill quickly. I hate their new style and won't buy another album from them again. But I will always appreciate them for their first 5 albums. By the way, there are a few decent songs on their later albums, including Grey Street, The Space Between, and Where Are You Going.
Jars of Clay - Flood (1995) (Christian acoustic/folk)
This was the first concert I ever went to, and I think it was in 1995. This is an album that we would always play in the family cd player while growing up. It was a really well produced album with the money and exposure they had. However, I think every other album Jars of Clay did was not nearly as great as this one. I don't expect to buy another album of theirs either. This one's great though.
Jewel - Pieces of You (1995) (Acoustic/Folk)
Absolutely love this album. It has had a HUGE influence on my acoustic guitar playing and gave me a segway into real folk music. Her lyrics are not always pretty- they're raw and sometimes hard to hear- but wow, talk about honesty. A perfect example of this is in the song Amen:
"Pieces of us die everyday as though our flesh were hell, Such injustice, as children we are told that from God we fell, Where are my angels? Where's my golden one? Where's my hope now that my heros have gone? Some are being beaten, some are being born And some can't tell the difference anymore." I believe you can still appreciate someone's honesty yet not agree with them. This album taught me that.
Led Zeppelin - I, II, III, & IV (1994) (Classic Rock)
Zeppelin, without argument, has been the most influential rock band in my life. I learned how to play the guitar by listening to them and being forced (by Adam Levorse!) to figure out their songs by ear. Seeing them live by DVD is amazing, and seeing any tribute bands justly play their music is equally amazing. Their talent stuns me. I don't love every single one of their songs, but they have absolutely changed my music world.
Nickel Creek - Self Titled (2000) (Folk/Bluegrass)
A friend named Phillip from summer camp one year was talking to me about music. He found out I had never heard of Nickel Creek, as I was not into bluegrass at the time, and in a hurry he rushed me outside to his car so I could listen to it. As I sat in the middle of 2 guys, he sang the songs with his soft voice. My musical world was never the same :) Nickel Creek has been the single biggest folk and bluegrass influence in my life. Their lyrics have moved me, their instruments have inspired me to play the mandolin and banjo, and their age has encouraged me to not wait until you're old to be good. All of their albums are fantastic, though their latest one, Why Should the Fire Die, is maybe my least favorite. They're broken up now and each have pursued their own personal musical goals.
Phish - Billy Breathes (1996) (Jam band)
The first time I heard Phish I didn't like them. I find that's the case in almost all of my favorite bands. Jaime Porco introduced them to me in our 11th grade English class and I soon fell in love. Phish is one of those bands I believe you either hate or love. I love. :) With almost a 70's jam band feel, it's unlike most music you've ever heard. Their other albums are also fantastic, but if you're going to start with one, start with this one.
Radiohead - The Bends (1995) (Rock)
This was another album that really changed how I viewed rock bands. I believe The Bends is their most toned down album, and if you're new to Radiohead, I would recommend starting with this one. Their other albums are amazing, which is why Radiohead still stands today! Their albums, though so so different from eachother, still are unique and well produced enough with their creativity to NOT lend fans like me to think, "Wow, they've sold out".
Sarah McLauchlan - Surfacing (1997) (Relaxing?)
I don't know how to catagorize Sarah McLachlan because she's in a league of her own. She has the most soothing voice I've ever heard. She's talented in playing the guitar and the piano as well. ALL of her albums are incredibly good and I never tire of her voice- even though some people get weary of it being too breathy or weak.
Skillet - Hey You I Love Your Soul (1998) (Christian Rock)
This may be their least known album, but Skillet and ALL of their albums have changed my view, or sustained my view that there IS good Christian rock out there. This particular album cover looks cheesy, sorry, but their music is good. Their self-titled album is much more acoustic, and as they go on in their career, it has grown more and more "heavy metal" or hard rock--making a pitstop in electronica type tones for a while. They've been going for a long time, losing band members ever so often, but never ceasing to rock the house. I've seen them in concert more than any other band out there- at least 12 or 15 times. They're awesome!!
100 Portraits and Waterdeep - Enter the Worship Circle (Christian Acoustic/Folk)
Another band that when I first heard I hated. I thought it was very cheesy and "Christian". After listening to it a few dozen times, I realized how incredibly honest and "Christian" it was, but in a good way! It's basically a group of people around a microphone with their acoustic instruments, praising God and dripping with honest praise. They're on their 4th circle now, but I haven't bought the last one yet. In all 3 albums, there are only about 3 songs I really don't like. Other than that, they've been a great worship influence.
So there you have it- my favorite 15 albums ever to this date. What are some of your favorite albums of all time?

4 comments:

Craig Sowder said...

I commend you for being able to analyze and think about music the way you do. I'm not sure I could compile a list such as this for myself.

Anonymous said...

Sarah McLachlin Leaves me in a stupor. So beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I llove your post

Anonymous said...

I really liked your article.