Recently I've once again been reminded of my feeble human body. Of the many things I've discovered that have been passed down from my dad, the most recent thing I've discovered has been negative- which has been rare. Pennsylvania (and upstate NY) roads are different than the roads I'm used to. They're curvier, windier (are these real words?) and somehow faster feeling. They go up and down and around very quickly. Well my body doesn't like these roads when I'm not the one driving, it seems. In fact I've discovered that I am one of those people who get carsick! Ugh... what a pain. After the first time of getting sick, my aunt yelled, "Your father used to get carsick!!" which I never knew, and went on to tell me stories of how terribly sick he'd get with them.

The only other time I've been carsick was when my friend Abby zoomed me up the mountain roads in Chattanooga, TN. I heard that this problem develops over time when you get older, and it did. So my entire vacation in PA I was carsick on and off. I felt nauseous, lightheaded, and dizzy. So on one of the trips we went to go get something to eat. My cousin has a hummer and I started to get sick while driving- so he let me drive it coming back home! It was pretty sweet. Anyway, I hope this doesn't happen in Slovakia on their country roads cause I won't have my license and wouldn't be able to drive even if I wanted to.

Other embarrassing moment: I was boarding the plane tonight, and my seat was the very first one on the left. I took my book bag off while ducking to sit down and something crazy happened- my bag (which weighs probably 30 lbs. with books and my computer) got caught on my earring! So I set it down and bring my head down to the chair, trying to work it out. It doesn't. I had a hot cup of coffee in my hands and with my head sideways by the seat I ask a fancy businessman to hold my cup. At the same time a cute Indian guy across the row cuts in front of everyone and helps me get my earring out...which holds up the line of EVERYone boarding the plane cause I'm in the front seat. THEN the flight attendant comes over and tugs the crap out of my ear which hurt--this goes on for at least 2 or 3 full minutes which felt like 30. We eventually get it out and realize that the tiny hole in the "handle" which pulls the zipper down got stuck around the screwed in ball of my earring...so we had to unscrew the ball. Anyway, kinda embarassing.

Off topic- does looking at old photos ever make you either really sad or really joyful about something? My aunt Sheryl showed me a bunch of old pictures and I think it's interesting how different pictures gave me such strong feelings about different things. Hmmm...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh, the world of motion sickness is like death! I, too, am cursed with this disease, and I think those who have never experienced it will never know how awful it is. Not to discourage you or anything, but I found that my propensity to feel yucky in cars actually got worse while in Slovakia. The only reason I can come up with is that since I was hardly ever in a vehicle my body wasn't used to that kind of movement anymore. Thankfully walking doesn't cause those problems, and train travel was usually ok, too... just beware the buses!

Ande Truman said...

Aw man! I hope it doesn't get worse. I've heard from a few of my family members that the uncle I was driving with always gets people sick while driving on those roads- so I hope it's just a freak occurrence :)