I'm not entirely sure if societal is a word, but if it's not, it is now.

What I'm talking about is the level of comfort I feel in society. I've reached a point in my life, in my country, where I am generally comfortable. Not financially or socially, but in reference to my surroundings- my society. I have no qualms with being on my own in a dangerous city. Throw me in any downtown USA city and I will rarely (though probably naively) be scared, despite my car keys lined up in between my knuckles just in case. I speak the language, in fact one and 1/4 languages (I know enough Spanish to know when creepy guys are trying to come on to me...). I understand the laws. I understand basic business and economic Western principles. I know what to expect from business and retail environments. If I were approached by a cop, I'd know what to say. I know when English speakers are talking about me. I can sense attitudes, etc. from people that are specific to race or geography. I comprehend road signs and maps (Map dork self admitted). I know where back roads are; I can get around the city well. I have a decent sense of direction. I know when someone is ripping me off. I know when I'm paying too much for something. I can talk design jargon to printers.

I'm starting to know this country. I think I have at least enough "street smarts" to stay alive.

Some part of me loves this. I love this societal comfort. Familiarity is important to me.

I think I figured out why I like it so much; because I think of all the situations I've been in where I was so uncomfortable and uneasy in other countries. All of those things I mentioned above I've claimed total naivety in other cultures. Every single one of those things I find a weird amount of satisfaction in living in the U.S. has not been available to me at all times. In fact, in a few months, all of those comforts won't be there for a year. At least, for a while I'll have to do without them.

A side note here: I constantly reflect on my life's past. All the time. More specifically, I examine where I've been led around the world. I think about these adventures all the time. Dominican Republic, Japan, Benin, South Africa, Swaziland, Ethiopia, Slovakia, my exploration of the United States. I don't think a day goes by that I don't especially recall Africa in some way or another. That place took my mind for ransom, I tell you. I may not talk about it all the time, or even at all; but trust me, not because I don't want to talk about them, but because I'm always unsure of whether people care to hear about it.

So, back on track. In every single one of these places, I was put in a society that I did not understand at all. I was timid there, I didn't want to overstep my bounds or come across as "another stupid American tourist". 100% of my societal comforts were stripped.

Looking ahead, I in fact don't look forward to being in a place where I don't have these comforts. Though it's always fun to be in that vulnerable position for a while in another country- it's part of the intrigue of traveling- after a while, I think I'm going to grow tired of that vulnerability.

But all of this got me thinking about Ephesians 2:19. "That is why you are no longer foreigners and outsiders but citizens together with God's people and members of God's family." The context might not be spot on with what I'm talking about...but my point is that by having these comforts stripped from me, it reminds me that Orlando, Mebane, the U.S. or this world as a whole is NOT my home. We're all foreigners on this world- Christian or not. We, as Christians, will go to our real Home when we leave this earth. It's a lesson to myself that I've gotten too comfortable here. I've put too much comfort in the fact that I know things about my society. I rely on those things, as silly as it sounds, to be comfortable.

Official Advice: Don't get comfortable, this ain't your home!

0 comments: