I've recently discovered that I don't like when authors joke too much when I want them to be serious.

I was telling Craig this tonight over a disgusting burger- Dave Barry is the funniest author I've ever read. I specifically read his books to laugh obnoxiously loud and heartily. I don't, however, buy a book about something serious so some jackass (hey, it's in the bible ok!?) can tell me stupid joke routines in between his serious discussion so he can get the acceptance from the younger crowd...seriously, just tell me your point and stop trying to be funny cause you're not. This book I'm reading is great, it's changing my view dramatically on its' subject... but it's really painful to get through some of his jokes. It's like a comedian who said something funny, people laughed, so he kept telling jokes that were half as good....and didn't stop.

Secondly, some publishing company somewhere who was probably going out of business decided to start changing the layout of books. This drives me up the wall. Instead of the usual layout- usually Times New Roman font, size 10?, words reading from left to right- that's it, period.... they decide to spruce it up a little bit. Now, publishers are starting to put these little highlight sections on the pages. They'll leave an area a few inches wide where they'll highlight some part of the upcoming text in a box or quotation marks. I hate this. Usually they highlight the best part and ruin it for me before I get there and it's a distraction! I guess they thought people who usually don't read would flip through their books at the store (probably with a snazzy cover), and think, "Oooo this doesn't look like a normal book, maybe I could get through this one." Ugh.

Ok I know I'm a nerd for venting about book trends. But hey, this is the point of this blog. So that I can say whatever the crap I want to for the sole purpose of communicating myself and not worrying about what other people want to hear. So ha! In your face! Wait...no, I'm sorry.

I'm also about to be a bigger dork and just say that I'm really glad I have this place now (blog). You wouldn't believe the stuff I think about (like all that boring stuff I just talked about)...and none of it is important enough to e-mail someone about, so it's this constant pressure of "Who would care about what I'm thinking about?" Now that struggle has died a painful death!

Random thought about my cat: Let the record stand that I hate cats. While I'm at it, I'll go ahead and tell 'the record' that I love dogs very much. However, if I had a chance to put all the little while fluffy dogs (especially yappy little white poodle-looking dogs who usually have dirty faces) in a big bag and throw them in the ocean, I would do so. Okay, back on track: I really gotta get rid of this flipping cat. However, I'll be honest... he does this thing that is so cute and I'm really gonna miss when he's gone.

First, he sleeps in my bed cause I sold his former bed (my computer chair). Here's the cutest routine we go through. He'll jump up on the bed, collapse (literally) beside me, put his arm out to touch my hand, we'll fall asleep like that, then when I wake up he's laying on his back with his arms and legs right up in the air. Come on, that's cute! Admit it!

I'm teaching him to fetch too.

Hey by the way, I'm listening to this dude called Susumu Yokota. If you're ever jonesing for some really weird and really chill music to write to- it's perfect. Oh, those Japanese, so clever.

Don't get the homestyle bacon cheeseburger thing from Burger King, by the way, OR the cheesy tater tots. I got both tonight for dinner. Really bad choice. Don't let the marketing suck you in!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should have gotten a Whopper... soooo delicious, except I can feel myself developing heart disease as I eat it.