Well tonight I've got some major hickups and can't sleep, so I decided to write a little something. Friday night I took my 8 year old nephew to see one of my all time favorite bands, Skillet. I've seen Skillet at least 12 or 13 times, but every time I see them they're just cooler and cooler in my book. This was Dylan's first concert ever, and something tells me he'll never forget it!

Ok sorry, I just got lost watching Skillet YouTube videos for a long time... I'm back.

Anyway, John Cooper, the sexy -- I mean, talented singer always has a mini-speech in his concerts. They're always good and they always stick with me. I realized last night as I was listening to one of his speeches, for the 12th or 13th time, that over the 10 years or so that I've listened to them and seen them live, there's a theme. This theme has been influential in my faith actually- and explains some things about my beliefs.

Here's the theme that John drives home in his music and speeches: It doesn't matter what you look like, what clothes you wear, how many piercings or tattoos you have, whether you have a mohawk or however you look different...Jesus takes you just exactly as you are. You're His child and what matters is your heart and if you're living for Him, loving Him and loving people.

That's made a big impact on how I view people and also how I view coming to Christ. Coming from a background that judges people on appearances and social expectations more than anything else, this is a radically different point of view to live out. It seemed growing up that I believed you almost had to "clean up" before you "get saved"--now I don't see it that way at all.

Anyway, I thank John Cooper and his lyrics, his music, his band, and his testimony of faithfulness as he lives out the faith in this music ministry. I wish them nothing but success in continually sharing the Gospel in unique and effective ways to the youth of the world.

Now I'll leave you with sexy pictures... (Hey my hiccups are gone, sweet.)




Do you see that sweat on his guitar strap!? Hot.

3 comments:

Monica Gamez said...

Those are great pics that you took of the show. I always like to follow guitar players when they play. Weird I guess but it brings back memories when I played the violin/cello way way back in the day. Stringed instruments aren't always easy to play! :D

I've only heard a couple of Skillet's songs but what I've heard, I really liked. Their message sounds awesome. I wish everyone actually lived like that. How great would that be?

Craig Sowder said...

That is so cool that the lead singer is the bassist. And it's a five string bass. Is he a finger-style or pick-style player?

Ande Truman said...

Oh he's a finger style bassist for sure. He even swings his bass all the way around his body and catches it at least once every concert. (It makes the girls go crazy) hehe