I was in the bathroom of the house where my bible study is (I guess I could have left that detail out), and I saw a picture on the wall that was interesting to me. It was the fruits of the spirit on a plaque.

Love
Joy
Peace
Long-suffering
Gentleness
Goodness
Faith
Meekness
Temperance

I was going down the list of these attributes and trying to really grasp each one of them. I've seen this list a hundred times but never really tried to understand it or decide whether or not I am living out these fruits.

I just thought it was interesting how LOVE and KINDNESS were two separate attributes. Isn't kindness a result of love? What's the difference between the two? Should we be be kind to certain people, and love other people? Should we only really love our family and close friends and be kind to everyone else? Are we called to love each and every person or are we just called to be kind?

I have no idea. Anyone have any thoughts about this?



3 comments:

Ande Truman said...

I spelled catEgory wrong.

Petra said...

must have been a long bathroom visit ;)

Anonymous said...

I don't think that list of the fruits of the spirit is supposed to necessarily be an exhaustive laundry list of things. That could be why there is overlap with some of them. I really don't think love and kindness can truly be separated.