Lately I've been trying to figure out why I always try to find two sides of every story or point of view. I am always trying to ride the middle ground for most things. That's not good for certain areas, like biblical truths or something, but in general if I don't keep this anti-dogmatic point of view I feel naive or like a know-it-all.

I'm not explaining that very well, but I'll move on. Today it hit me that I am constantly being surrounded by extremes in my life. Even in my own heart I realize it's a miracle I haven't accepted these extremes. What I'm speaking of is more familial or social influences- I grew up with these extremes and they haven't left me and still affect me greatly.

One side of this crowd that I know is extremely right wing, strict, short tempered, racist, judgmental, impatient, white-picket-fence, America-is-all-there-is, bigots.

Another side of the crowd is disgusting, vile, lying, stealing, abusive, free-spirited, nomadic, lazy degenerates.

Another more recent side of the fence (can there be 3 sides of the fence? Oh well...) is the crowd that is spiritually mature, friendly, gracious, loving, and just plain great.

What's funny is that Crowd A hates B and C. Crowd B hates A and C. Yet Crowd C loves and accepts both A and B.
I've grown up riding this fence of extremes, being forced to get along with both types of people...like a trapeze artist who's balancing pole dips down on both sides to stay on.

Half are environmental friendly, while the other half doesn't give a rat's rear about the earth.
Half love to travel and move around, while the other half is afraid of leaving their town.
Half are understanding and patient, while the other half is bipolar and hot-headed.
Half have fowl and crude mouths, while the other half are neo-Puritans.
Half are appreciative and passionate about music, while the other half considers music a waste of time.
Half are devout Christians, while the other half are atheists or God-haters.
Half give their kids freedom to explore and learn, while the other half are micro-managers.

These are just a few examples, but I've just realized that I only have a select number of people in my life who fall into this "normal" category- people who have chosen to ride the fence of normalcy with me. People who learn to compromise, to look beyond the black and white, to be open-minded. We need more people like that in the world.

Anyway, I didn't have too much of a point to this, but just to say that maybe that's why I ride the fence on so many worldviews...cause I try to understand both sides of the story because I've been so exposed to extremes in my life. I don't want to become a relativist and think that everything is okay for everyone depending on the circumstance, but it's important to keep in mind different points of view.

0 comments: