So I was in this discussion with some people tonight about all sorts of crap for at least 2 hours or so: the end of the world, meteors, art, dreams, cervical herpes (don't ask), and all sorts of other stuff.

I mentioned that I've been dreaming a lot lately, most of them a little frightening. One of them I had remembered just as we were talking about the subject too. I'm standing in my bathroom (at the house I'm at now, the one I grew up in) on the second floor of the house. Looking out the window you see a yard and tons of trees. While looking out the window, all of the sudden an enormous tsunami-sized wall of water, hundreds of feet high, comes ripping through the woods as I'm watching it. It comes so strong and hard and fast and it slams into our house, so hard that it shakes the house. Within what seemed like a second or less the water from this wave reaches the 2nd floor window where I'm standing. Then I wake up.

Doesn't sound all that scary maybe but in the dream it was terrifying because of course I thought it was real.

So I told them about this dream and one of them is slightly knowledgeable about "dream interpretations". By the way, I'm 50/50 on that kind of thing, but it really is interesting- I'm a little infatuated with the dream world. ANYway, he tells me that from what he's researched in dream symbolism with huge waves, etc. is that there is a lot of internal stress/tension/anxiety...which is so true in my situation right now. Of course he said more about this that made more sense than what I'm saying, but it's 2:30 am and my brain is starting to shut down.

I just think that's interesting. I do believe, from what I've read, seen and experienced, that dreams are a subconscious way of manifesting ideas, greatest fears, utopic thoughts, and also concepts and thoughts which in a way you maybe can't handle consciously thinking about.

An enormous fear of mine is that a child will die or get seriously injured while I'm responsible for him or her...likely in the context of babysitting or driving them somewhere. I am really paranoid about it. Last week I had a dream that a kid I know very well had drowned in a pool and I was with the mother when we found the kid and I heard just like 1 second of the mother's reaction. I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't sleep for like 2 hours. He said this was maybe a way of my brain telling me that I don't agree with certain aspects of the way this mother raises her child (I don't want to get into detail with this, but he was right in saying that).

Anyway, whatever, this probably isn't interesting to you but I felt like writing something tonight. I don't write much when I'm in Mebane. It's this place. I'll stop there though- too many gossiping tongues to rat me out.

1 comments:

Craig Sowder said...

I tend to agree with you that dreams are manifestations of things in our subconscious, such as fears and desires. I used to dream a lot and I always remembered them, but that's not so much the case anymore. I rarely remember what I dream anymore, although I do have recurring dreams, such as being in very high places with nothing to protect me from falling off the side. No idea what that means.