Who knew what kinds of things I'd need to do so I can get a decent design job. It's all worth it if/when I get that job, in my mind though. One of the most recent ridiculous things I'm doing to make connections in the design world is attending this: http://www.aigacharlotte.org/events/detail/770#register_form

It's a multifaceted event hosted by an arts organization I'm a member of called AIGA. It includes a Toys for Tots toy drive, a general socializing Christmas event, and best of all, an Ugly Christmas Sweater party. And yes, there are prizes for the owner of the ugliest sweater.

So yesterday after an interview I packed a bag for a few days and headed down to Charlotte. I'm going to Atlanta for business for a few days after this, and Charlotte is conveniently located on the way. Yay for me. Last night I found a Goodwill in Charlotte to find this ugly sweater of mine. Let me tell ya, this was the nastiest, skankiest Goodwill I've ever seen. Clothes were not on hangers, rather, they were all piled on giant tables in a huge room with no order whatsoever.

Needless to say I felt a bit uncomfortable taking my iPhone out to take a picture, but I did and here's what it looked like.



My favorite part was listening to these two homeless people have this ridiculously loud conversation while picking through the piles. I even recorded it, I was so impressed. I did decide to call it quits once I started feeling damp clothes and started itching all over the place.

I must say though, I found a perfect Christmas sweater for the party. The reason I didn't give up on my quest for this sweater is simple... I want to meet people tonight. I want to meet designers and make connections. I want this sweater of ugly Christmas goodness to catch attention, and maybe, just maybe, win the prize of ugliness. I'm hopeful. Here it is, enjoy.

5 comments:

Daryl Riggins said...

I have that sweater.

Petra said...

I want to be ON that sweater! So... Christmasy.

Ande Truman said...

HA! Good one.
I forgot to mention my favorite part when the Hispanic lady checked me out at the register. She says, "Hello lady!" and when I left she said "Sankyou lady bye!". Maybe you had to be there.

Matt Blick said...

Hahaha... that's awesome. Did you win?

Anonymous said...

2nd place :)